Monday, August 23, 2010

Utah!

First: When you get up early in the morning to go running, brush your teeth before you leave.
I decided to start running today. And I woke up at 5:15 in order to be able to get ready for work on time. I literally stumbled out of bed and into my running shoes and out the door. I wasn't thinking clearly at all! And I discovered, I really should have just brushed my teeth. I think it would have helped me breathe. Probably.
On to other things. The Utah road trip! Sharla and I traveled up to Utah for our great friend Bethany's wedding. It was hectic and a lot of driving, but the scenery was so beautiful (and our music so jamming) that the drives just flew by! We stayed Friday night in Castle Dale with my grandparents. When we woke up, Grandma Jeffs fed us just so much breakfast! We looked around Castle Dale and then went up to Salt Lake City. We looked around Temple Square. It is so great! All the sister missionaries! I got so excited thinking that I am going to be just like them! Except in Holland! HOORAY!
From SLC, we went to Lehi to the wedding of Bethany Gentry and Cameron Jacobs. It was lovely. We may or may not have gotten lost and been a little late, but that's ok, because the wedding was on Utah time (or something, I think they were just running behind) and started after we arrived. Bethany looked so lovely. Her mother made her dress! You could not even tell, it looked so professional! Her and Cameron were just giddy and happy. It was a beautiful wedding with a super great grape salad. You know me, all about the wedding food.
After the wedding, we started on our way to Midway to stay with my Aunt Kaylma. I was looking at our atlas and saw that we had to pass through Provo. I said, "Sharla, do you want to stop in Provo and visit Kelly B. and Stephie?" Our friends from Thatcher had moved last week to attend BYU. We called them and they were home! It was probably one of the greatest times I've had. We all had a joyous reunion, and talked and talked and talked, and caught up on Thatcher gossip (juicy campus dot com!) We made a trip to P.F. Chang's (first time ever!) where we dined on deliciousness, left our waiter a tip of coins spelling "We heart Joe" (don't worry, we left him a real tip on our cards) and took pictures of some college students with a Justin Beiber cardboard cutout. What a successful night!
It was so good to see these girls. Sharla and I discussed it as we were driving home on Sunday. We've just made such good friends in Thatcher! Everyone is scattering now, to literally all parts of the globe. It was just so good to be able to see friends, even so far away from home and Thatch town. I guess that's one advantage of everyone scattering: Wherever you go, you know you'll have a friend to see. Makes the world a little smaller. It was a brilliant time.
After that, we left Provo and set out for Aunt Kaylma's. We arrived, and Vanessa and Jake and little Polo had come to spend the night and visit! It was so happy to see them! Aunt Kaylma showed us around the house and took us up to our room. Ethnee was out with a friend, but she brought popcorn when she came home, and me and Sharla and Ness and Ethnee stayed up talking and laughing til one in the morning!
It was really fun. It felt just like old times! Vanessa was acting just like a teenager instead of a married lady with a darling little kid. We all laughed and had a great time.
In the morning, Aunt Kaylma made biscuits and gravy! It was so delicious! We all ate together, and then we sang some songs (Gillespie side of the family, had to be done!) We sang God Be With You Til We Meet Again, and of course we all cried.
Isn't family great? Sharla and I were so grateful for the kindness of my family for taking us in and giving us a place to sleep. That's really all we needed. But they gave us so much more: a home cooked meal, love, support, a lunch for the drive, happiness!
We got on the road and drove all day to get home. It was a great time for me and Sharla. We talked about everything, we jammed to awesome music.
This was our road trip of 2010. I fully label this one a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment